So....that's kind of like a midwife right?

I am a Birth and Postpartum Doula. Another name is a Maternal Support Practitioner or a Labor Support Practitioner.

Is that a mouthful? Does the word "Doula" sound funny rolling off your tongue?  A lot of people ask what I do.

When I decided to take the leap to become a Doula, a lot of people didn't know what it was. Other people giggled at using the name "Doula". Some assumed it was just like a midwife.

The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek term meaning “servant to mother.”

dou·la
ˈdo͞olə/
noun
noun: doula; plural noun: doulas
  1. a woman who is trained to assist another woman during childbirth and who may provide support to the family after the baby is born.

mid·wife ˈmidˌwīf/
noun
noun: midwife; plural noun: midwives
  1. a person (typically a woman) trained to assist women in childbirth.
    • a person or thing that helps to bring something into being or assists its development.
      "he survived to be one of the midwives of the Reformation"

 I can see how this can be confusing. I can give you the definition and technical term of what I do...but I thought it might be more fun to instead hear a few quotes from friends and family of all ages and stages.

I asked people of all ages and stages: "What is a Doula?"

"A Witch Doctor"- My brother Jonny ( yes he is joking...I hope)

"To me, a doula is the ideal person to help ordinary people cross the bridge into parenthood. When you are facing all the many unknowns of pregnancy, childbirth, and taking care of a newborn, the learning curve can be pretty steep. Even if you're not a first-time parent, every pregnancy and baby are different. A doula is there for you as a gentle guide along the road, someone with a wide range of pertinent experience and a wealth of valuable information. Where the role of the doctor ends, the doula steps in to give you more personalized care and emotional support. Doulas advocate for you and they involve the whole birth team. By doing so they improve the process of becoming a parent.
-My thoughtful mom friend Brie

"A Doula helps families through the delivery process"-My sister in law Shara

"A Doula is to help persons get babies out of their bellies"-My 4 year old son Henry.

"A Doula is a support person who provides emotional and physical support to optimize your birth experience"- Dr. Sean

"It's kind of like a midwife"-My dad

So, for the most part people got it. 

Studies have shown that having a doula can decrease the overall cesarean rate by 50%, the length of labor by 25%, the use of oxytocin by 40%, and requests for an epidural by 60%.

A Doula can be helpful in any type of birth. Whether using medication or not, a doula can provide information, comfort measure and ongoing constant care when medical professionals have others in their care.

If a cesarean birth is necessary, a doula provides the same information, resources and emotional comfort. They are very beneficial in helping the father when the newborn comes out in basic care, skin to skin and emotional support while they wait for the partner to come out of the surgery.

As a postpartum service a doula offers basic newborn care, the emotional care needed in the fourth trimester and breastfeeding support and guides. This fourth trimester can easily be dismissed as not as necessary, but with all the changes the mother is facing, it can end up being one of the most beneficial.

Although I am definitely not a witch doctor. I am also NOT a doctor, nurse, midwife or partner. I add to all of that. I am there to support, and guide. I aim to have women and their partners be informed and empowered in birth. When we are having babies it is so exciting. The thing is that it can also be so overwhelming.  We are creating life inside us. We are strong. I am here to make sure everyone knows that, feels that and goes in having the best birth they can. No matter the road that is turned. No matter a shift change, no matter the hour. I am there to remind them of that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What am I Doula-ing?